I had written about luminaries in the list of 70. I will talk about the luminaries between 56 to 60.
60. M Balamuralikrishna – At 60 I have one of the most famous and finest names that one should talk about when it comes to Classical Carnatic Music, Dr. M Balamuralikrishna. This Legendary musician started his career as early as 6 years old. He was known for his brilliant voice which gained him instant fame and recognition. He is known for popularizing the compositions of Sri Ramadasu and Sri Annamacharya. His brilliancy as musician was that he perfected almost all the songs. Balamuralikrishna perfected Violin, Viola, Khanjira, Veena and Mrudangam. He is the only musician who has won National Awards for classical music, music direction as well as film playback singing. He also won Padma Vibhushan for his excellency in Music. Even today many households in South India listen to this legendary singer’s ragas whether its devotional or others.
59. JP Narayan – Jayaprakash Narayan is a Freedom Fighter turned politician. JP Narayan is known famously as ‘Lok Nayak’ for leading the opposition against the ruling party and Indira Gandhi. He called this fight against government as a Second Freedom Struggle and Total Revolution. He was the reason behind the agitation and fight against corruption in the country. A fight which was going good until Indira Gandhi called for Emergency and brought things under control. JP Narayan was a brave politician who started lone battle and derived millions of supporters. He got support from Employees, Politicians and Students. Then students included today’s leaders Sharad Yadav, Lalu Prasad Yadav and Mulayam Singh Yadav. Even today, North India sees JP as the second Gandhi who inspired and lifted their lives and given them an ideology to fight for.
58. Ashok Kumar – Also called as Dadamoni, Ashok kumar is one of the iconic actors in Indian Cinema. His entry into cinemas was a sudden accident where he was taken to play a substitute actor and that turned his life completely. That lucky break was fantastically utilized by him and he has given so many hits in his Acting days. He is considered as one of India’s finest actors ever, playing leading, negative and character roles with equal motivation. His best movies include Khubsoorat, Mahal, Aashirwad and many more. Fact is he is elder brother of Kishore Kumar another legendary singer that Indian Cinema has produced. He is one of those few actors who has received highest movie award that is DadaSaheb Phalke award and many other life time achievement awards! He is at 58 in my list for inspiring a generation of moviegoers and laying the foundations of Indian cinema in its nascent stage!
57. MG Ramachandran – Marudur Gopalan Ramachandran popularly known as M.G.R is Tamil Nadu’s biggest Actor, Politician and Filmmaker. He received National awards, Filmfare awards and also Docrates for his acting. He entered politics riding on fan following. He was in DMK with Karunanidhi but as the power struggle started increasing he split and started new party AIADMK. He soon won the elections and was made the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. His ministerial period is the best time that Tamil Nadu has seen where he has done lot of reforms for the poor and also encouraged Industrialization. Only lead after him to be so successful is Jayalalithaa who was part of AIADMK. He is still worshipped as God and many people in South Tamil Nadu still believe that MGR is alive. He is at 57th place for the sheer difference he made to the landscape of Tamilnadu.
56. Kishore Biyani – The Business Giver!
Kishore Biyani is the man who brought the life into Retail Revolution and is the only person to be praised for the growth in Retail Sector in India. He was often seen spending most of his day outside, wandering around new places and understanding and interpreting the real world. Though he joined business with parents and cousins, he was never happy with their conservative approach. He then moved out and started his own venture to build his empire and He is now the CEO of Future group which runs brand stores like BIG Bazaar, Food Bazaar, Pantaloons, Planet Sports and many more. In year 2006, he was awarded ‘The First-Generation Entrepreneur of the Year’ by CNBC Indian Business Leaders. The same year he was also awarded the ‘Young Business Leader’ conferred by the IIM Lucknow National Leadership. He won and lost the challenges but importantly he never gave up and that’s why he is now the top Retail Chain owner.